puppys

puppys

Monday, May 2, 2016

Mary Lou Heard's Garden Tour 2016

On Saturday, April 30th my friend and I went on, yes, another garden tour.  However, this one is probably the best one of all the garden tours I have ever been on.

Mary Lou Heard was a garden enthusiast, who loved gardening. This annual self-guided tour is hosted by real gardeners who generously consent to share their personal creations.

Those of us that knew Mary Lou sometimes forget that there are quite a few people who never had the pleasure of meeting her.  This woman was absolutely dedicated to gardening.  In 1985, Mary Lou opened Heard's Country Gardens.  Many years passed , until finally in the summer of 2002, Mary Lou had to close Heard's gardens.  I had met her on the many occasions that I traveled to her nursery.  She always had time to talk to you and explain any problems that you were experiencing in your own gardens.

In 1993 Mary Lou dreamed up a garden tour by and for real people, a tour for the rest of us, so a yearly event was born that brought out thousands of guests who gave generously to Mary Lou's charity, the Sheepfold.

Mary Lou died in September of 2002 of colon cancer.

The Mary Lou Heard Foundation: THE SHEEPFOLD  Supporting the people who provide hope and safe refuge for mothers and their children in crisis - one family at a time.

I only went to 6 gardens, there were 38 gardens over Saturday and Sunday.  We went on Saturday. The gardens that I researched were amazing.  Two of them were over the moon and I immediately fell in love with them.

So lets go on our tour.....

The first house was very lovely, beautiful Japanese Maples.  I only got a couple of pictures and my battery went DEAD.  The man of the house gave me directions to Target, so off we went.  No they didn't carry the Sony battery.  The young man was so nice he called Best Buy and YES, they had it, so off we went to get out battery.  he put into the camera and we were all set for the rest of the tour.






This home was in Cerritos, so off to another garden.........

We went the Anderson's home in Huntington Beach.  They purchased the home about 5 years ago and since then they have added fruit trees, vegetables, seating areas, etc.

Notice the cement sectional to the right of the picture - very unusual and nice.


The Red Hat ladies were there enjoying the tour.


Welcome to the Caverer's home.  They are blessed with a secluded location bordered by two channels of Huntington Beach Wetlands Conservancy and only one neighbor.

They pay the state of CA $1.00 per year for keeping up their little space in back of their property.


Welcoming front door.


Fireplace in the side patio area.  Lovely seating area.


Looking out to the wetlands past the fence.  Beautiful Knockout roses along the fence.





Notice the chairs and table setting out in the Wetland.  I am sure that it is a beautiful place to sit and watch the sunset.


Looking out to Pacific Ocean from channel.


Looking out to the wetlands.


This home and garden I really fell in love with.  The Ferree's have 3/4 acre of land.  It is tucked within, but not part of a condominium complex, this three quarter acre garden features trellises, gazebo, fountains, a pond, working full-size water wheel and irrefutable horticultural bliss.  This property was transformed from  a 1930-era working farm to a beautiful Colonial garden.





These roses grow across the entire front yard and are stunning.



Front entrance


Water wheel with pond.





Meet the girls, they were very friendly and wanted to be petted.


The girls chicken coup name - Fudd Cluckers - how cute....

The Green House


Garden Shed

Seating area in the Garden Shed


Yesterday, today and tomorrow plant.  Each day it changes color.



We had to go through the house to get to the back yard.  Very nice home.

Beautiful double wreath's on the double front doors.

Front patio area



This is the last home on the homes I selected and I only got a few pictures as the battery went dead again!
Walk way up to the front door - so many lovely plants.

Old window painted and put on garage wall - side walkway.


Sorry that the camera died.  This was a very lovely garden also.  I toured this last year and I try not to go to the same ones each year.  It is a lot of work for the home owners to have everything perfect for the tour.

Sorry that this was a long post.  Can you guess what garden was my number one pick?

My garden helpers and I thank you so much for stopping by and we hope that you will leave a comment.
I'm done with garden tours this year, unless I take a few of mine.

Mary, Waldo and Lili

Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
      The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday        
    Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
No Minimalist Here ~ Open House Party Thursdays
Between Naps on the Porch - Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Thoughts of Home on Thursdays @ At Home With Jemma
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
Common Ground ~ Be Inspired Friday
The Thrifty Groove ~ Thrifty Things Friday

38 comments:

  1. Wow! I love California gardens! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tour was beautiful. Thank you for getting a new battery and taking us along through your pretty pictures Mary. What a wonderful women Mary Lou's sounded like. Glad you got to actually meet and have fun talks with her through the years. What wonderful memories. Love the giving of the garden tours to help others. Have a great week ahead my friend.
    Love you,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kris. Guess you getting excited to be moving into your new home. I can hardly wait to see all your beautiful decorating.

      Yes, Mary Lou was a wonderful caring woman who helped so many women in need. The Sheepfold is a wonderful place for woman with children that are being abused by their spouse or boy friend. They now have several homes, but of course we do not know where they are. They also have a thrift shop where the woman can get clothes for jobs that they get. It is a wonderful charity.

      How is Cooper doing? I think about him a lot. I am so glad that you found him and gave him lots of love. I have also been hoping that Terry has found a job in the fire department. Every time I watch Chicago Fire, I think of Terry.

      Take care of yourselves and don't overdo on the moving and decorating.

      Love you lots,
      Mary

      Delete
  3. WOW!!!! What gorgeous gardens, Mary! Just beautiful! I think the one with the waterwheel might have been your favorite? I liked that one but also the one with the wetlands area for the view.

    I am so glad that you were able to do this. I would have loved to be part of that tour with you. I owe you a letter one of these days. I have just been maxed out on time/life lately...but I have thought of you a thousand time. Take good care of yourself.

    Love to you- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My very favorite was the one with the wetlands. The view was amazing and to be able to go and sit there and watch the sunset. WOW. I also like the other other one also. That lady did most of the work except build things.

      I read your email today and I am glad that John is getting better. But going back to work this soon is really pushing the button. I am so glad that they are giving him more time.

      I am worried about you and I hope you are taking care of yourself. you know it's just as hard on the caregiver as the patient. Wish I lives close so I could come over and re leave you so you could go to Starbucks and relax.

      The girls are growing up so quickly and are beautiful - that Bright Eyes she is something, isn't she.

      Please take care of yourself dear one.
      Love you lots,
      Mary

      Delete
  4. Wow I would love to go with you to all those Garden tour there so many beautiful garden and flower in California
    I miss all that
    Thank you Mary for the tour I enjoy so much
    Blessing
    Isora
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Isora, so glad that you liked the gardens. It was a fun day and so much to see. I didn't post all the pictures I took as everyone would be asleep before the end of the post. LOL
      Have a wonderful week.
      Hugs
      Mary

      Delete
  5. Oh Mary - how nice to see beautiful gardens tended by ordinary people. So many of the gardens are so expensive looking and unattainable but these are all so gorgeous and look doable in a period of time.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Judy. Yes, the people really did a lot of work on their gardens all by there selves.

      Wishing you a Very Happy Mothers Day.

      Mary

      Delete
  6. What a legacy by Mary Lou, both in the service she initiated and the beauty she cultivated! I loved the Ferree's garden - it almost looked more east coast than west with the hedges. I can't imagine the work homeowners put themselves through in order to be ready for these tours, but these gardens are beautiful. Thanks for taking us along.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you liked the tour Rita. I am so happy that I was able to go. MY hip didn't bother me until Monday.

      I am sure that Mary Lou was smiling down from heaven that her Garden Tours are still being held for the Sheepfold. She was a wonderful woman.

      Happy Mothers Day to you.

      Mary

      Delete
  7. You definitely live in an area with abundant and beautiful gardens! I think it will be late July before anyone here sees something like that! It's an impressive sounding tour with so many gardens. Like you, I think I would have only made six! I hope all the homes were filled to the brim for such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am so glad that you enjoyed the post. Yes, there were many people and it was held on Sunday also. One day is all I can do - to old to do all that walking, driving and in and out of the car.

      Happy Mothers Day.

      Mary

      Delete
  8. Wow, Mary, what a fun day! So many gardens and so many gorgeous blooms and plantings! I loved your favorite, the gardens with the water wheel. What a treat to have that much property so full and lush. I've always wanted a garden/potting shed, too! Thanks for taking us along:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Donna. I really loved the one in the wetlands, oh to sit there and have a glass of wine and watch the sunset - simply beautiful.

      Wishing you a Happy Mothers Day.

      Hugs,
      Mary

      Delete
  9. I think #2 was my favorite because of those roses. They are all beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think #2 was my favorite because of those roses. They are all beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, they were all so very pretty. I can't believe how early everything was this year. Normally around Mothers Day all my roses are in bloom, but this year very early.

      Have a wonderful Mothers Day.

      Mary

      Delete
  11. Mary,
    What a beautiful garden tour! Stunning gardens and so different then what we have here in the Northeast! There are a few garden tours here but they are unfortunately in the middle of the Summer and the heat and humidity would kill me!! we only have a growing season of about 4 months here so that is why they are in the middle of the Summer.
    Thanks so much for sharing it with us! It was wonderful to see! Thanks too for stopping by! It has been a rainy and cool week here with temps. in the 40's and the 50's.
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am so glad that you liked the garden tour. It is my very favorite one and it helps so many people, that need help.
      Our weather has been so nice - temperatures in the high 70's and cools off at night.

      Happy Mothers Day and have a wonderful day.
      Hugs,
      Mary

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing another set of lovely Southern California gardens. Enjoy your week. Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for stopping by. All of the garden tours are finished and I am tired. Of course I had to go out and purchase more plants after seeing all the beautiful ones of the tours.
    Happy Mothers Day and have a wonderful week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary,
    I enjoyed all of your pictures so much. It is so nice to see other people's gardens and seeing another part of the country too... I love, love that garden with the view of the wetlands. oh, my..can only imagine the sunsets.
    I read your post when your hip was bothering you but never got around to commenting. I had been having such sciatic nerve pain that it was making me crazy..lol all better now. I hope you are feeling good too..
    Thanks for taking all these pictures so we could see the gardens..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't hear about the tour until it was too late to go as I already had other plans...so I missed it again. I was so hoping that you would be going and share it with us. What wonderful gardens, each one beautiful and unique in it's own way. Thank you so much for taking us with you.

    Happy Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Mary, what wonderful garden tours you went on. I wish I could have been there with you. So many beautiful houses, yards and flowers. I loved the one from Mary Lou's tour, is that the one you like best? Thanks for taking us along with you.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the week, weekend and have a Happy Mother's Day!!! :)
    Hugs Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are wonderful gardens, especially that last one with the brick path.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My fave is...YOUR fave..wow....I mean rses and pergolas and blues and pinks and garden houses and gazebos..what's not to love..and that sweet guy that called Best Buy..I LOVE that in people..just doing a little extra something to make someone's day.
    we have garden tours here also..but short lived as you can imagine..just a few months.
    Happy Mother's Day Weekend Mary..and your gardens are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the sweet comments. I have been out working in my garden and I am dead tired LOL
    This old gal isn't what she used to be. I am ready for a little nap.
    I love the garden where they could go out to the wetlands and sit and watch the sunset. We have some amazing sunsets.

    Happy Mothers Day.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mary, I can see how you would be tourd out!!. They are all so beautiful and I even went beyond to your last post which I missed before. I love the ones that have the old fashioned, bright colored flowers and a lot of arches and pretty fences. You are like me, I always want to change something I have when I see something else. Maybe it a good thing that we are both getting too old to do that! Thanks for taking us along on your tours..Happy Week to you my friend..xxo Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, this is so beautiful! Every single picture is filled with something wonderful to see. Garden tours are pretty much my favorite thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you shared this at Thoughts of Home. I was happy to see the garden tour again.

      Delete
  22. Oh my golly, where was I when Mary Lou was around? My yard and flower beds are calling her name. I love flowers but they never seem to look like all your beautiful pictures - my dream, one day!!
    Have a great weekend glad I stopped by!
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary, thanks for taking me along on the garden tours - there was so much to comment on so I will just say that I loved it all.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning garden tours! Each home had such great style. I am so sorry to hear about your camera battery issues. My old camera used to drain the battery in less than 2 hours also. What a frustrating pain it used to be so I can empathize with you, poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mary, I've just come from Diana's blog and saw you had requested prayer from you for your cousin Donna! Of course I'll be praying for her the the family. Bless you and I ask God's peace to surround you all.
    Blessings,
    Shelia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary, these home and garden tours are delightful. I can see why you loved the one you said. The things that caught my eye were the gazebo, the purple flowers of the colonial garden, the lady with the potted plant, and the beautiful ocean view. I'm trying to make my back yard look nice, even though it's small. Nel gave me some daisies for mother's day (different than the last ones), and we planted them today.

    love, ~Sheri

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the beautiful tour Mary!!...Your favorite is my favorite too...love the pond, the water wheel and that Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow plant is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Mary,

    Well, it's almost a year less 2 days after your posted this wonderful entry on these beautiful garden tours, but here I am. They are all lovely in their own special way. I particularly love the Wetlands one for its location, the charming bird house and the shed!

    Your friend, Mary Lou Heard sounds like she was the sweetest, most caring individual and her charity is a blessing to all that benefit from it, as well as those who contribute. Her spirit lives on in these blooming gardens.

    Thanks so much for sharing and for going the extra mile to buy new batteries. I know exactly what that feels like, and mine are Sony ones, too!;)

    Happy weekend, sweetie,
    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete